Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Status Update

So, thought I'd just give you a quick update on my health...as I realized I haven't done that in while. To start with...I've gained 18 pounds since I finished chemo (yup...that's a lot..considering I only lost 7!). The thing is...food is so good now!! After having no appetite for so long....I'm enjoying everything I can get my hands on! I'm realizing I need to start expending more energy to balance this out (because changing my diet is not an option right now!)... so I'm currently sitting on the couch unable to move due to sore muscles from 2 days at the gym. Granted my workouts are pretty lame...and embarrasing at times...but I'm trying really hard to not get frustrated with myself and my abilities.. and realize that I have to start somewhere.

Another frustration...but improvement is my hair. I now have the energy to be annoyed and embarrased with how much hair I've lost. I know this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of wellness...but I'd really like to have enough hair to cover my bald spots. I did get a haircut last week, and my hairdresser informed me that it was coming back in (brown and curly)...so that was very promising...because I was starting to get worried!

Finally...the most debilitating and annoying side effect that has lasted is the peripheral neuropathy. Its a sensation that is very hard to describe. I really have limited fine motor skills because I can't feel things. For example...I can't put earrings in that have a backing because I can't feel the backing in my fingers. Sometimes I even have problems putting in earrings without backings because I also can't feel the earring! I also have difficulty opening things, texting, typing, writing, etc. Taking this sensation into consideration, my fingertips and toes are also very sensitive to texture. It hurts to wash my hair, pet my dog, touch a towel, walk barefooted on tile or carpet, etc. It's wierd that I can't feel some things, but others are painful...but its just the way it is. I've been getting vitamin B12 shots weekly for the past 3 weeks to try to help with the neuropathy, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also just started taking a new medication called neurontin...so hopefully that will help...we'll see!

I think thats all I have to share now. I have a CT scan this week...so we'll see how that goes. Also...party planning is in full force....and going to be a great time! (reminder- nectars..March 1st..5-8pm) Hope to see you there!

Enjoy your week!

No comments: