Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Room with a View

I'm in heaven....
This is the view from my new bedroom.... ahhhhh.....

I've finally moved out of my parents house...which, in a way, was more stressful than I expected.
I've been ready to go for many months now, and very antsy...but when the time came I was hesitant.
I couldn't figure out why...until a couple of weeks ago. I was on a panel of survivors at a cancer seminar. The speaker asked me,
"What particular challenges do you have now, being the youngest member on the panel?"
(or something like that)
And I realized that it's my fear to move forward, take risks and challenge myself again. When I was diagnosed, my world became very small. When your lifespan is unpredictable and seemingly in jeopardy, you realize very quickly what is important to you and surround yourself in it. I always have dreams and plans to travel and see the world (and still want to do this..), but when it came down to it...my priority was my family and my friends...the people that I love. I wanted to spend my time close to them....and created my safe little bubble.
However, this is the challenge of being a 'young survivor'. If I were older and more settled, I would have created my 'bubble' with a family that I created, and wouldn't have to push myself to get out there and take risks again. I am very grateful for my parents and really needed their care and support during my treatment and recovery. I could have easily continued to live with them, as they are the most important people in my life....but it was time to break free (again!) and challenge myself to move forward. It was a little scary leaving the 'safety zone' that I had created...but....
The view here is pretty nice...
:)

3 comments:

Watch Our Family Grow! said...

Wow, what a gorgeous view!! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow!
Sara

Unknown said...

Congratulations Kelly! What a fabulous room!

Lisa said...

Your place looks AMAZING! Yay!
Lisa D :)